D.I.Y Pallet Lounge Chair

Leave a Comment

This is my first DIY non cooking post so go easy on me. I've been on a craze when it comes to my sunroom. We've been in our current home for a little over a year now and up until now this room has been kind of a catch-all for my extra sewing stuff. As the nice weather cams about I decided that now would be a good time to really take advantage of this room. It has windows on every wall and at night it's the coolest room in the house. I decided to build a garden room with diy furniture upcyled from pallets. What you are seeing is my first attempt.


 I saw this lounge type chair on apartment therapy.com and thought to myself, "I could do that." So, I went about gathering the materials to complete this weekend D.I.Y. project. I did alter their design a bit to better accommodate my space. To make my D.I.Y. Pallet Lounger check out the below tutorial.


For this project you will need:

  • 3 Pallets of equal sizing
  • Sand paper and a sander of some sort
  • Paint & a paintbrush
  • A saw or a crowbar 
  • A hammer
  • Some heavy duty nails
  • Fabric (3-4 yards)
  • Fabric glue or a sewing machine
  • multipurpose cushion or repurposed pillows



I started by laying out two of my pallets side by side. I then cut 1/3 of the third pallet off for use as the back piece. You can also just remove the middle boards and leave the two end supporting boards of 2/3 of the pallet instead of cutting it with a saw. This is what was done on apartment Therapy.


Next step was to sand down all of the pieces to avoid nasty splinters. You can't very well enjoy a piece of furniture if you get a splinter every time you go to sit on it, now can you?


After sanding everything I set all of the pieces together to ensure that everything would fit together properly.



I pulled everything apart and got to work painting. I painted all three pieces...and the floor....and myself. I never said I was the best painter. When painting the bottom pallet you only have to paint the parts that will be visible when the cushion is in place. Once you've completed the painting and set things aside to dry have yourself a cup of coffee in revel in the fact that you've come this far! (That's what I did.)


Ok, now it's time to assemble and add in the comfort factor. But your two larger pallets together so that they are flush. There is no need to secure them as the pallets are heavy enough to make a sturdy base. Now take your smaller pallet and place 3 to 6 large nails to the back and sides to secure it to the top larger pallet. Now that the base is complete you can go ahead and measure out your fusion or pillows to determine how much you will need to cover your lounge chair. Once you've determined that, go ahead and cut enough fabric to fully cover all of your material. Here you can either wrap the fusion/pillows in the fabric and secure with the glue, or you can sew together two large pillow cases and then stuff them with your cushion/pillows.


Place your completed pillows/cushions on your base and break out into your happy dance because guess what, YOU ARE DONE!